Sunday, November 9, 2014

Life as a Ho(s)tel Booker!






Ok, so I decided to start blogging about a lifestyle which seems to be trending these days-and not only for back-packing youngsters, but also for hipsters, business (wo)men, artists, writers, teachers, lawyers (that is "barristers" for you British) health industry professionals and all other
curious individuals well into the fifties, traveling either alone or in packs,
as families or as teams of all sorts, landing themselves on a bunk bed in the various hostels around the world!

I didn't choose the trending hostel life on purpose; in fact, the concept of lodging with either
5,7, or even 19 other individuals in the same room seemed to be something
quite peculiar to me...until recently, that is. Of course, I had heard of hostels, but as lodging while living in the USA had been more in the Marriott or even Best Western arena (with the occasional Motel 6 overnight lodging), since the days of spending weekends in 5-star hotels were set on what seems to be an eternal
"hold", there never was a need to seek out the hostel accomodations. That all changed when I
moved to Denmark.

My first experience of sleeping voluntarily on a "dorm" floor among 7 others in a 8-persons room in
a hostel was in Copenhagen, Denmark. Finding myself in an awkward situation where I had to
move out of my rented apartment before I was able to receive the keys to the door of my
purchased flat, I had no other choice to seek out other form of lodging. Due to the outrageous
prices of ordinary hotel lodging in Copenhagen, I decided to try a hostel for a couple of nights; I
mean, how bad could it be? According to the pictures on booking.com in addition to the very
flattering prices, I was sold in an instance. Not that it would have been too difficult to convince me
otherwise, given the circumstance I was in; the alternative to "hostelling" was to crash under the
office desk and hope that no one would find me before sneaking out of the office in the early
morning hours...only to return to the very same desk by nine o'clock, as if nothing bizarre such as
using the work-area only hours before as a slumber-hut had just happened. With that thought in
mind, I didn't hesitate to book my first hostel bed on-line.
And before I knew it, I was hooked on the life in the world of hostels...

Before I start to write reviews of various hostels around the globe (and when I say globe, I mean
Europe as I haven't ventured further...yet).
I wanted to let you, the reader, know that the quality of the hostel (or lack thereof) is only my opinion, and in order to get a proper evaluation would be that you book and stay at the hostel yourself.

Considering that I am what most most Americans would refer to as a "laid-back" personality, the Norwegians would consider a regular "viking", and regretfully most Danes would refer to as a out-of-ordinary strange persona, my reviews may not be the kind of reviews to rely on if you are nitty-picky about your accomodations whilst on holiday.
But I will pack the blogs with insightful information in a rather humerous way,
so that you may as well become interested in trying the ho(s)tel just out of pure curiosity.

The reviews will not be on a point-system, star-system, or any other mainstream rating system.

Instead it will be rated upon:

1. Was the location appropriate
2. Overall ho(s)tel level: A. "youngsters", B."Hipster", C."Top-notch-Boutique-level", D."Fit-for-all-ho(s)tel-bookers", E."Keep lookin' before bookin'" F."Not stayin'...just sayin'" G. "Only.for-the-bravest" H."Don't-blame-me-if-you-decide-to-book-despite-my-review" last but not least: I. "Oh h**l NO!"
3. Would I let my children stay at this ho(s)tel...
4.Would I bring my mother...
5. Would I recommend it to my neighbour...
6.Low-point(s) of the ho(s)tel
7.High point(s) of the ho(s)tel
8.For s(he) who has tried everything in life, I would recommend...

Let's take a closer look at number 4 shall we: My mother is the kind of woman whom would "investigate" the room of a luxury hotel, find a nano-particle of dust in the corner of a window pane and swear up and down that she would never return to such a ghetto-gepetto sad excuse of a hotel...ever! So needless to say that if I state in a review that I would bring my mother, rest assured that that it is safe for you to book it!

Let the reviews begin :)

Sincerely,

The Great Dane!















No comments:

Post a Comment